Monday, November 23, 2009

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me: - Frontline

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me: - Frontline

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:

Four perfect cocktail dresses

Erin Keane

Issue date: 11/23/09 Section: Frontline

The Holidays are here again! After that initial tryptophan fix, a rush begins: shopping, decorating, and best of all, parties. Ever since I was a little girl, one of my favorite markers of the season was the purchase of a new Christmas dress. My mom would dress my sister and I in jewel toned taffeta frocks with full slips underneath, garnished by lace bows in our hair and black patent Mary-Janes.

This sense of ceremony failed to escape me as I've grown. I still treat myself, each year, at the Holidays to some sparkly new cocktail attire. After all, decking the halls doesn't have to stop at turning on those twinkle lights.

This year glamor is at its height with velvet, metallic, lace, and sequins in high demand and I've found 4 great cocktail dresses that are contending for my 2009 purchase:

(1) I'm dying for the metallic "Quasar Cocktail Dress" at mod-cloth.com. To truly let it shine, I'm imagining it with black opaque tights and a black ruffled t-strap Mary-Jane. I'd add a little black cardigan for Christmas Eve mass that I can take off for the after-party.

(2) Velvet is one of my favorite things to wear to mixers in December, and I love this open backed dress from Kimchi Blue at Urban Outfitters. There is nothing better than looking sassy chic coming and going, and this dress achieves that while being completely tasteful. Maybe with a metallic tight and black cage heels to toughen up this sweet outfit.

(3) A sucker for romance, lace is one of my favorite things to wear all year round. This lace-trim LBD from Free People is a great investment. Not only for seasonal use, you can wear this baby to nearly any occasion. Such is the way with classic basics. Black dresses are one of my greatest weaknesses because they are a blank canvas for accessorizing.

(4) On New Year's Eve there is nothing more fun than heading out on the town with your friends. Looking glitzy is go-to on this last hoorah before the long haul that is winter in this town. Topshop.com is one of the most fabulous things to happen to my fashion life, and this Silver Sequin Shift Dress by Rare is no exception. This dress with those same black cage heels would be epic.

No comments: